Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

;26


DAY TWENTY ONE


Question: Why can't we be friends?
Answer: Because you smell.


DAY TWENTY TWO


Question: What the hell is wrong with this world?
Answer: Do you really want me to answer that?

DAY TWENTY THREE

Question: What do you think your time will be?
Answer: I couldn't answer that. Considering that team only had to finish, not beat a specific time and they still lost.

So if you haven't gathered by now, I live in Calgary. Its an alright place, I wouldn't care to die here but currently I have no choice. I'm not saying its terrible here, but I'm a small town boy really. I like the places where everybody knows everybody like back in the small town I used to live in. I was pretty much famous among such a small group of people. Whether it was for good things or bad choices is something thats discussable but the fact is I had a name. I was a somebody. Here? I'm just one in a million.  But thats not what this is about. This is about something a little more.

Restaurants. We all go to them and we all know of one little restaurant or cafe that should probably be a chain because its so good at making the food it does, but you're glad it isn't because well, lets face it. When a big corporation gets bigger, they bring little heart to their food and it essentially ruins the establishment. We don't want that. The only problem is the fact that when it isn't something big like a McDonalds or a Starbucks, it usually gets choked out by competition. Regardless of how amazing the food is or the coffee tastes, it eventually is no match for something much bigger, much more expensive and something substantially less tasteful. Lets take my small town for example. Theres a small chinese canadian restaurant called the Pine Cafe. It is full of canadian food like hamburgers and chicken and veal and what not that we are all used to and love. But it also has some chinese choices as well as an entire smorgesborge of food from both countries. Its been there for since I could remember and quite frankly, I believe its not going anywhere for a good ammount of time still. But what does this have to do with anything?

Here in Calgary, there are tons of great places to eat. Or atleast were. Essentially when it comes down to it, Chinese food is the "in" thing among people and we all know of places where to get, or you used to get great chinese food until ownership changed hands or the place was just sold. The problem is now in Calgary, you can't get good chinese food anywhere, unless you go out of your way to get it. Everywhere you turn, that mexican restaurant, that hotdog place, that chinese place that used to be there that you loved so much, has turned in to a Vietamanese place. Now why does this bother me? I am going to be so bold here to say I have never eaten Vietamanese food and not really for good reason past I have never had the "craving". And now? Its coming down to I have no other choice in this city but to accept it and eat it. Why does it bother me? I like variety. I like indian food, chinese food, mexican food when I'm in the mood for that stuff. Now, you can't get that stuff. You have to settle for stuff from Vietnam. How is that good for anyone?

I'm not bad mouthing the Vietmanese people in any way, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is maybe we need to stand up for variety? How many Ukrainian places do you know of in this city? I know two maybe at that. We need some new flavours in this city. I wonder if I can start a petition? I'll get back to you on that.

--Too Much Thought

1 comment:

  1. Ok...we have to go eat Vietnamese sometime. While I agree they seem to be taking over....it is really good food. If you do go try some Noodle King off of Barlow in the NE is really good. Yum!

    ReplyDelete